If you think cooking over a campfire is only hot dogs and baked bean then I have good news for you! There is SO much more you can make that is delicious, healthy, and something the whole family will enjoy! These are my top 5 favorite (and EASY) recipes to enjoy by the campfire
Grilled Sausage with Potatoes and Green Beans
Yes, its is SIMILAR to hot dogs and baked beans, but so much better! You will still have the ‘feel; of campfire food, but with a bit more variety and taste. All you need is the ingredients and some foil, and Voila, dinner is served. Its that quick and easy!
¾ lb of fresh green beans
½ lb of potatoes (I recommend baby potatoes for faster cooking!)
1 onion, sliced
1 lb of smoked sausage of your choice
Pinch of salt and pepper
Vegetable oil, butter, and water
– On a large sheet of foil, place the green beans, red potatoes, onion, and sausage. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with oil, and top with butter. Tightly seal foil around the ingredients, leaving only a small opening. Pour water into the opening, and seal.
– Place foil packet on the prepared grill. Cook 20 to 30 minutes, turning once, until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender.
YeeHaw!!! This hearty casserole is the perfect dinner for sitting around the campfire. It cooks quickly so you can fill your belly after a long day on the trails!
½ lb of Bacon
1lb ground beef
1 onion (chopped)
2 Cans of Baked Beans
⅓ cup BBQ Sauce
1 Can of biscuit dough
– Cook bacon in a large skillet over the fire until evenly browned. Drain, and cut into bite size pieces. Set aside. Add hamburger and onion to the skillet, and cook until no longer pink, and the onion is tender. Drain.
– Stir bacon, baked beans and barbeque sauce into the ground beef, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, and place biscuits in a single layer over the top of the mixture. Cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the biscuits are done. Place two biscuits on each plate, and spoon beans over.
If you have never had a pizza cooked on an open flame then you are missing out!! It has the perfect amount of crunch and delicious flavors! Just bring some refrigerated pizza dough and your favorite toppings and you have all you need for a quick and delicious skillet pizza!
1lb of refrigerated pizza dough
¼ cup pizza or pasta sauce
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup of pepperoni (or any other toppings that you want!)
– Place pizza stone or skillet on grill directly over wood fire. You may need to begin by spreading out the wood if the flames are too tall. Roll out the pizza dough to desired thickness. Place it on the pizza stone and cook 10 minutes on one side until golden.
– Remove from the fire and on the cooked side, spread the pizza sauce in an even layer over dough leaving about a half inch around the rim of the pizza dough bare. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly on top of the sauce, followed by the pepperoni slices and any other toppings you want.
– Place uncooked side down, back on the pizza stone. Cover with a foil tent and cook until cheese has melted, about 10 minutes more. Transfer pizza to a cutting board and let cool slightly before cutting and serving.
A camping weekend wouldn’t be complete without a bowl of steaming hot chili while sitting around the campfire! You’ll love this recipe, it is divine!!
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 ounce package of cured chorizo, finely chopped
1 Large onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cans, 15 ounces each, red beans, un-drained
15-ounce can of Mexican style diced tomatoes
15-ounce can of mixed vegetables, un-drained
Chopped cilantro, hot sauce, sour cream (optional)
– Stir-fry a mix of onion, chorizo, garlic and oil in a Dutch oven placed over hot coals.
– Stir in the beans, tomatoes and mixed vegetables. Cover this mixture and let it cook, stirring occasionally until onion is tender.
– Spoon the final dish into soup plates and dress it with chopped cilantro. Pass the hot sauce, add a dollop of sour cream and serve with cornbread or tortilla chips.
This one you are going to love…. Why??? Because it’s just so darn easy! Just mix it and put it in the foil and cook. The chicken is so tender and delicious.
4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cups of BBQ Sauce
2 cups of drained pineapple tidbits
1 Bell Pepper
1 Small Onion, diced
– Cut 4 large sheets of foil
– In medium bowl, toss together 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch pieces, and 2 cups barbecue sauce until chicken is fully coated.
– Divide chicken pieces evenly among sheets of foil. Divide 2 cups drained pineapple tidbits, 1 bell pepper, diced, and 1 small red onion, diced, evenly over chicken on foil sheets.
– Bring up 2 sides of foil over chicken so edges meet. Seal edges, making tight 1/2-inch fold; fold again, allowing space on sides for heat circulation and expansion. Fold other sides to seal.
– Place foil packs on preheated grill. Cook 10 minutes. Turn packs over; cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut
There you have it!! My top 5 easiest and BEST campfire recipes. And don’t forget the S’mores for dessert! That’s always a fan favorite!
If you want to camp every weekend on a property of your own, I can help!! Check out a list of all the properties we have for sale here
Have more questions? Give us a call at 775-234-2058, we’d love to help you out!